Senioritis: is it Real or a Hoax?

Seniortis, an appearent affliction that causes trouble for upcoming graduating students. Should this be treated more seriously?

Eugenio Guardascione, Contributor

As students of all grades continue on the school year, there is one grade that is the highlight of the topic: seniors. The last grade for students, whether they be in high school or attending college, senior year is very important in terms of grades and the last step in the journey of your career/dream. However, as students go into their last year of school, sometimes things tend to go downhill, as students can experience many problems and struggles during the year. Students don’t have the ambition, motivation, or the desire to study, do schoolwork, participate in activities, and other extracurriculars. This is what’s known as “senioritis”- a phenomenon that occurs typically in high school and college seniors, especially during their second semester. 

The debate of the matter is if senioritis is actually a malady or just an act that students put up as an excuse not to do work. However, considering the fact that senioritis is a serious condition, symptoms can include: low energy, poor hygiene, procrastination, lack on concern, and overall not being happy and motivated. Severe cases of senioritis can lead to cheating, plagiarizing, and even lead to drug and alcohol usage (tradeschools).

The reasons for this senioritis could be a number of things involving the individual and future endeavors, such as the “finish line” mindset/boredom, fear of the unknown, sadness/denial, and anticipation (tradeschools). These reasons are why most students experience the condition. Psychological problems, accounted with mental and physical fatigue and stress from school, makes the problem even worse and contributes to senioritis.

Another factor to consider is that senioritis can just be a plausible excuse to avoid assignments. Senioritis is a great cover for outright lazy students, and provides backup for their ego rather than admitting they are underachievers. This excuse can be abused by many students who aren’t necessarily “diagnosed” with senioritis unlike other students who truly have symptoms of the condition.

Whatever the case may be, it’s not too farfetched to say that senioritis can be taken seriously, and should be considered as to why students aren’t at their A-game. It’s important to know that students are actually having struggles and other factors that won’t allow them to perform well in their education and homework, and said students should receive all the help and support they can in order to not only improve grades, but general well-being as well.