Are our spirit days overused?

Are our spirit days overused?

Alex Moehring, Contributor

This year at Ashley Ridge High School seems to be going by sluggishly. The school seems to be compensating for this with a plethora of different spirit days, intended to pep up the students and attempting to motivate us to actually participate. But this year alone, we have already had at least a minimum five weeks of spirit days, which quite frankly, got very repetitive.

Early on in the school year, the spirt days were used as an excuse to get students to turn on computer monitors when we were still in the lockdown. The topics used in said spirt days when the year started were something that were doable. The early spirt days were simple but something to do, but with the abundance of spirit days it got old quick.

After the lockdown ended and students returned to school, the weeks of school spirit returned with them, presumably in an attempt to increase morale. However, for a seemingly inexplicable reason, they began to repeat categories. But by far the strangest choice for a spirt week was Kooks vs. Pogues.

In 2020, the Netflix drama “Outer banks” made the decision to film scenes in a nearby city to the school. This led to the decision to dedicate one of the spirt days to “Outer Banks” and was titled Kooks vs. Pogues. The name Kooks vs. Pogues represents the battle between the rich elite known as the kooks and the poorer, harder working members known as the pogues. (elitedaily.com) The problem with this is that just because a show films somewhat nearby, doesn’t mean everyone knows about it. Not everyone has access to a Netflix account. Even fewer have seen the show.

I feel that in an overuse of spirit days, any purpose to having them has been removed. They have become overly repetitive and questionable. The joy of spirit days comes in their rarity, not in their themes.