Not All Buses are COVID Safe

Not All Buses are COVID Safe

Tony Fernandez-Parker, Guest Contributor

Have you noticed your bus change this year with COVID? All passengers should have on a mask covering their mouth and nose, there might be a plastic barrier in between the driver and the first seat, passengers should sit in every other seat to socially distance, and the windows should be open for ventilation. If your bus is not following these precautions, chances are your bus is not COVID safe.

My bus to and from school every day only uses the plastic shield, which only protects the driver from the bodily fluids of a sick child sitting behind her. Even though my bus driver knows all the precautions she needs to take, and even brings her own child onto the bus, she still keeps the atmosphere of her bus unsafe. Based off my own personal observations, I can assume I’m not the only person experiencing this.

I understand the feeling of wanting to pull down your mask–really, I do, but you have to think to yourself, “Is it worth it?” That cool air might feel good in the moment, but it could also leave you quarantined for two weeks, feeling like you’re on fire, leaned over your tub, hurling down the drain, and bed ridden. Then there is the part nobody talks about: the effects when you come back. When I came back to school after catching COVID, I was shunned by just about everyone except one of my friends and my teacher. It was humiliating and even worse, it was one of the loneliest times of my life. I went through all that because my bus was not a COVID-free space, and I don’t think anyone else should have to either.

It can be hard to tell a driver to their face that you think you could easily catch a contagious disease on their bus due to their lack of safety precautions, so if you feel like your bus is not COVID safe, try to tell an administrator. Every student’s voice makes a difference so let your voice be heard, and remember that the safer we are, the faster we can get back to normalcy.